Monday, August 15, 2011

The shoes that I wear.

Brooks Green Silence. 
Weight: 7.2 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (22mm), Forefoot (14mm)
How It Fits (based on width D) Width D=Medium

Green means go. Green means environmentally friendly. The Green Silence is both. Using water-based adhesives and recycled materials, Brooks has produced a racing shoe that reduces waste. It should also help reduce your race time. Has a minimal upper, full-contact sole, and great flexibility. The faster you are, the longer you can run in this shoe. Suitable for any race distance.

These shoes are actually inspired by Scott Jurek - one of the greatest ultra-marathoners of all times. He wore this pair of shoes to break the American 24-hr distance record. He ran 165.7 miles (previous record is 162 miles) in 24 hours in Brive-la-Gaillarde, France. Scott is a great runner and a great person as well. I have the utmost respect for him. I love these shoes because it's the most environmentally friend shoes I have ever worn and it's light too.

Vibram five fingers KSO.



Weight: 5.7 oz
Heel-Toe Drop: 0 mm (my measurement)

"In just over a year, the KSO has become our most popular model for men.  Featuring a thin, abrasion-resistant stretch nylon and breathable mesh upper that wraps your entire forefoot to "Keep Stuff Out." A single hook-and-loop closure helps secure the fit. A non-marking 3.5mm Vibram TC1 performance rubber sole is razor-siped for a sure grip, and a 2mm EVA insole enhances plating protection and comfort."

I incorporate some barefoot running in my training every now and then. This is to strengthen my legs (esp calves and quads) in general and also to prevent overuse injuries (since i do most of my running in green silence). Vibram five fingers is great in allowing me to run barefoot-like. You can sorta feel the ground underneath you including the rocks and pebbles and sands but they don't hurt you. 

Asics Gel Nimbus 13.
Weight: 11.5 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (34mm), Forefoot (22mm)
How it fits (based on width D) Width D=Medium

For class leading comfort, turn to the Asics Nimbus 13. Plenty of Gel cushioning provides a plush and forgiving feel, while the shoe design delivers a reliably smooth ride for the neutral runner. The tailored fit of the upper wraps the foot oh so well and speaks to the high level of detail executed in this premium ride.

To be honest, I regret buying this pair of shoes. I bought it out of desperation when I was in South Africa. The story is, after I got injured in Hillcrest Marathon, I went to see a kineticist. After looking at my worn-out mizuno shoes (which I wore since 2008), she recommended that I change my shoes, and the guy in the shop recommended Nimbus 13. His reasoning is: Since I got injured, I would need more cushioning to protect my ankles and knees. What a recipe for further injuries. Anyway, I don't wear Nimbus to run anymore. I only wear it as casual shoes when I go out. 

Salomon XT Hawk.

Weight: 11 Oz(Size 9)
Stack height: Unsure. Likely to be similar to Nimbus 13.

I wear this pair of shoes for mountain climbing. It's actually great because it has good support and excellent grip as well. Because of its high heel-drop and weight, I won't wear them for trail-running. I would wear New Balance MT101 for this purpose instead (see below). But for prolonged hiking and climbing, I would actually recommend this pair because they are good at protecting the legs in general.

Shoes that I am interested to try out


Asics Piranha SP 3


Weight: 4.7 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (21mm), Forefoot (16mm); non-removable insole

The lightest racing flat ASICS has ever presented to the U.S. market, the Piranha series offers a platform that is designed to maintain the perfect balance of a super fast road feel and exceptional platform comfort. The same tooling as the Piranha SP 2 and a minimal upper greets the user of this ultimate race day shoe.

Mizuno Universe 3



Weight: 3.6 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (18mm), Forefoot (16mm); non-removable insole

Since lighter weight equals faster running times, then the Wave Universe 3 might be considered an unfair advantage. If your are a serious road racer then you must ask yourself if you are serious enough to don the high performance Wave Universe 3. (Mizuno Wave Universe 4 is out already by the way).

New Balance MT101 Trail shoes
Weight: 7.2 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (26mm), Forefoot (16mm); non-removable insole

Building on the success of the cult following for the MT100, New Balance offers the refined MT101. The shoe retains the excellent low-profile, minimalistic design, which delivers low weight and a great feel for the trail. With a thin rock plate, the MT101 provides stone bruising protection yet remains nimble and flexible. The upper is thin, breathable and provides a secure midfoot fit. All told, the MT101 is a great minimalist trail shoe that meets the needs of serious trail runners.
New Balance MT10 Minimus Trail shoes
 Weight: 7.1 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (14mm), Forefoot (10mm); non-removable insole

For the minimalist trail runner, the New Balance MT 10 Minimus Trail offers a close-to-barefoot like ride that offers a tremedous feel for the ground. A glove-like fit gets the shoe to act like an extension of the foot and great flexibility enhances natural movement over varied terrain. Not much rock protection here, but as long as you avoid the pointy stuff, the MT 10 Minimus Trail will excel as a daily minimal trainer or part-time training tool.






No comments:

Post a Comment