Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Starting to run again.

After three weeks off running, I'm back to training again. Three weeks ago, I rode my scooter to Coolum Beach early in the morning to run. After running about 8km, my right knee and right achilles tendon started to hurt really badly. Fearing that my right knee injury had returned, I took some time off running so that my legs can recover.

Yesterday, I ran 7km along Image Flat. The terrain is undulating, and the scenery is really nice. I focused a lot on my running form because this time I really want to be cautious about running correctly. I know there is no such thing as a 'perfect' stride as everyone's feet are made different, but I want to explore techniques that allow me to run with great efficiency and minimal impact on my knees and ankles, thereby preventing or reducing the risk of injury.

Today, I ran about 10km around my old house. It's a route that I ran on almost every time last year. It brought back some good memories and reminded me of those times when I could run injury-free. In those days, I looked forward to running everyday no matter how tired I was. After the run, I would always go to a field next to my house and just lie there for a long time and be lost in time. Listening to the sound of the birds and rustling wind, and staring at the clouds on the sky above, my soul felt calm and still.

Up-slope
Part of the route.

My old house. Second from left.

I am still deciding whether landing on my midfoot or forefoot is the best. Landing on midfoot, I realised, allows me to run with greater ease and it makes me feel lighter. I was able to lift my feet just high enough to brush my feet along the surface of the road, thereby promoting higher cadence (stride rate) and shorter stride length. Landing on forefoot, on the other hand, forces me to activate my calf muscles to absorb the impact of landing, thereby reducing the impact on the knees. However, the down side is the achilles tendons have to work extra hard to absorb the impact. At present, my right achilles tendon has not fully recovered yet so I have to go easy on it.

Right now, I am icing both my knees for a good hour as I normally do after any run. It is to reduce inflammation and promote blood flow to the area. Hopefully I can continue to run for about 30-45 minutes pain-free tomorrow and Thursday.

Thank God for yesterday and today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment