Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 3 of running

Yesterday my right achilles tendon started to hurt quite badly toward the end of the run (probably in the last 2km or so). I told myself I was going to rest today but the urge to run got the better of me.

I started by doing the same warm-up that I normally do to prepare the body for the run. I did some stretching, with particular focus on calf, hamstrings, quads, glutes and trunk (these are extremely important muscles in running), as well as some dynamic exercises eg toy soldier, walking lunges, eccentric heel dip, ankle mobilisation, VMO dip etc. These dynamic exercises activate the muscles and fire them up for action.

VMO dip. Great for patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS)

Eccentric heel dip. Great for achilles tendonosis as it exercises both the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles.

I would write more about the different types of warm ups and exercises you can do before each run in the future. Keep in mind that these exercises are paramount to running healthily and injury-free. I never used to pay so much attention to them until I got injured this year in South Africa. Since my injuries, my knees and ankles have lost their reserve that the slightest error in my running form or lack of warming up would precipitate an old injury. Hence, I don't want to take things for granted now. I want to make sure the essential body parts for running are ready for action before I hit the road.

I did 5.24km today. Again it's a hilly course. I ran pain-free again! :D

Thank God for today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment