Friday, July 29, 2011

Long run at the end of the week

Today is the final day of the run for the first week, and it marks the first week of proper, almost pain-free training. 

As you know, I have been injured since I was in South Africa (on 13 Feb 2011 after the Hillcrest Marathon). I did 3 hrs 45 mins for the marathon, but ended up injuring my right knee (ITB syndrome) and left ankle (anterior tibialis tendonitis). Since then, I had not been able to run properly for a long time. I managed a few runs here and there, the distance usually short, and I had always been running in pain. Due to my eagerness to run the two oceans ultra-marathon in April (56km), I disregarded the pain and tried to push for more mileage. Needless to say, I had to rely on NSAIDs for most of the runs. I even had cortisone injection in my right knee one week before Two Oceans (some of you may think that cortisone injection is a really bad thing because of all the negative connotation attached to steroids but I can assure you that it is a safe and good thing to do, especially for chronic injuries un-amenable to other therapies). Anyhow, the end result is i buggered up my left knee as well (patellofemoral pain syndrome) after the Two Oceans.

This injury kept me out for a long time. Then I promised Raymun that I would run the Gold Coast Marathon in July with him. This means I had to start training in June latest. Meanwhile, I had been doing a lot knee strengthening exercises and rehabilitative stretching to prepare my legs for action. However, in early June, I still had difficulty doing even 5km. I could not do it without having moderate to severe pain and marked effusion in my left knee. I knew in my head that there is no way I could run a marathon in early July. Worse still, I ran the risk of worsening all my injuries and might even incur new ones in the process of over-running. My worst fear is that one day I just might not be able to run anymore from all these accumulative injuries. Logic convinced me in the end that I should not go for a marathon. I signed up for half instead. Raymun was happy that I made a correct decision this time.

En-route to Gold Coast Marathon, I tried to spread out my training between strengthening exercises, light running, and swimming. There was varying degree of pain during my training, which was mild on a good day, and severe on a bad day that I had to stop in less 3km. All in all, I knew I was making good progress. Slow, but good all the same.  Finally, come Gold Coast Marathon, I finished 21km in 1 hr 42 mins. I am satisfied with timing, considering that I had little training and injuries.

Now, three weeks after Gold Coast Marathon, I felt that I am ready to train again. The pain in my left knee had almost disappeared. I managed a long run today at the beach. BEACH! Haha.. I was basically running along the shore which is very flat and enjoying the sound of the waves and the sunlight as well. Again I had to pay a lot of attention to my running form, and making my strides as light and fast as possible. I finished 12km in just under an hour. The calves were screaming out, but surprisingly I felt I still had a lot of reserve (stamina) in me. Good effort. I

My goal now is the Northface 100 in Singapore on 15 Oct. Jeremy boy and I signed up for 100km duo category, which means each of us is running 50km. It's a big race for us, and we are really excited about it. I hope that we would be able to train well for it (he is currently recovering from an injury too), and that our friendship would be strengthened in the process as we go through trial and challenges together. Nothing means more that going through the dirt and rough surfaces with a buddy whom you deeply respect and love.

That's all for now. Time to go shower and read my bible and do some work. :)

Week 1
Monday - 7km (40 mins)
Tuesday - 10km (55 mins)
Wednesday - 5.3km (27 mins)
Thursday - 7km (37 mins)
Friday - Stationary exercises and stretching
Saturday - 12km (58 mins) - Flat
Total - 41.3km  (217mins)
Average speed - 5.25min/km or 8.28 min/mile. 

Coolum Beach. Beginning of the run.
Peregian Beach. U-turn.







On the way back.
Someone just completed sky-diving!

Enjoying the run. :)


Dogs 1, 2, 3 and 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment