Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rock climbing in Mt Tibrogargan - Not for the faint hearted

I can't remember the last time i had chills running down my spine when I was out in the mountains. Today is certainly is one of the days!

Neil and I decided to climb Mt Tibrogargan at last minute. He had previously warned me that there is a lot of rock-climbing involved but somehow it just didn't get registered in my brain. I was thinking perhaps the worst of it is similar to Klang Gate. I could not be more wrong!

So at 2.00pm, Harn, Neil and I set off. Initially it's simple hiking. We then reached the first rock wall -it was manageable. After climbing for a short while, i realised that the rock wall became steeper and steeper. Gee it is not as easy as I thought and I should have been more prepared ! The rock wall soon became vertical and i started thinking that i made a big mistake in under-estimating the mountain. That's the thing about mountain. No matter how 'easy' a mountain seems to you, it always has the ability to defeat you if you are not ready. It just takes a few slips, challenging spots, sharp thorns and chilly wind to destroy your confidence. Hence, respect the nature and do not underestimate anything.

Anyhow. To cut the long story short, there were a few really challenging rock walls ahead that we had to overcome (most of them vertical), and the best thing was, we did it without harness and ropes. It is much scarier and harder to climb knowing that you have no safety net. I knew that if i slipped, that would be the end of me.

At the peak, we were rewarded with beautiful views of the landscape and other mountains. Wow.. It was an amazing feeling.

Such adventure is not for the fainted. Had i known the difficulty level, I would have prepared myself more mentally. Anyway, it was a good effort and I am sure glad we had the opportunity to climb today. Thanks to Neil for his guidance and experience in this field and thanks to Harn for taking some really nice photos up there even at the risk of his own dear life.

I definitely want to come back again!
Mt Tibragargan from far
Getting ready to go




Neil leading the way
I was starting to feel scared
Harn enjoying his climb. He was certainly more confident than me.
Hanging on for my dear life
How am i going to get up?
A near vertical rock face
One slip and he's finished
Neil looking for some holds
Last resort - Neil tied a rope for me to pull myself up :D
Chimneying
127 hours


View from the peak
Neil and I
Beautiful view (Mt Beerwah on the left and Mt Coonawrin on the right)
Retriever! Another dog my gf and i want to get :D

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jimmy Tee,
    You have an awesome photo of Mt beerwah with the sunset behind it in this post. I wonder if you would allow me to add this photo to the growing collection of photos about Beerwah at http://www.beerwah.com and I also have a Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/Beerwah
    - kind regards Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry i saw this late. Go ahead! I have a lot of photos of glasshouse mountains if you are interested (including some of the 'illegal' climb in Mt Beerwah!) :D

    ReplyDelete