Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Exams over. Back to running again.

Last Sunday i finally finished my last exams as a medical student. It's a clinical exams with 9 stations to go, each station testing us on different aspects of medicine. During this whole period, I have lived a very unhealthy lifestyle, with instant noodles (with eggs), fastfood and bread with nutella as my regular meals. Most nights before the exams though, JC would cook dinner for us. Otherwise, most of my other meals were mainly high fat, high salt type of food. Moreover, I have not been able to go running as often as i could. Most evenings we were busy practising cases. Now that exams is over, it's time to get some order back into my life again.

I have always enjoyed running, particularly after major events. Exams, CF retreat, holidays, talk or some big races etc. It's my way of heading back to the root, back to simple primitive way of living and engaging with nature, unhindered by pressure of time or self-expectation, free of burden and worries. Experiencing God in such environment and condition is surely refreshing. It's as if the world stood still, and His presence becomes strangely palpable.

Today I went running for the first time after exams. I was running on road for the first 18 mins, then i entered into Toohey Forest. The forest is not huge, but it contains some nice trails traversing the thick jungle growth in an undecipherable pattern. I just ran on whichever trails my feet found. It's such an enjoyable experience where I could feel the wind on my face, listen to the sounds of the trees and rustling leaves and become aware of the rocks underneath my feet. All that went by were little reminders of God's creative work. Before long, my body and face were full of sweat; the heart rate also became faster, the breathing more laboured. It was time to run home before the sun went down.

Today was fun. :)

Entrance of Toohey Forest
Toohey Forest map. See how confusing the trails are.
A long way ahead
Beagles! it's one of the dogs my gf and i want to get in the future
Nice trail

No comments:

Post a Comment