Monday, June 1, 2020

Coming back


It's been so long since I last visited this blog. I guess this reflects how hectic the past few years have been, and writing has really taken a backseat in my life amongst many other competing priorities. But lately, I have been feeling the urge to write again. I like to write. About anything. It's not that I think I have any interesting things to share, or that my life experiences are important. The reason i write is simple - to connect with another human being. You may ask: why publish your writing in a blog where everyone can see it? This is where things get prickly, but i think most people aren't being true to themselves if they don't agree at least a little but with what i am going to say next. There is no reason to post one's life on the internet other than to feel as if you have some sort of agency as a human being. That is, that your actions - and posts - are meaningful to someone other than oneself and that they affect other humans in some way: to inspire, comfort, invoke joy, or inflame etc. The blog allows others to see you, provides an audience, and that helps tremendously to validate one's existence.

This started as blog to describe my journey in running - the highs and the lows, the lessons, trainings, victories and defeats. But I don't run as much anymore. Now other things have taken priorities: marriage, children, surgery, friends etc. Each aspect takes up huge proportion of my time. I intend to only write things that i think will be helpful and meaningful to share, not only for other like-minded people, but also for myself when i look back many years from now.

My dream is to write a book. People ask me what I intend to write. I think writing about my own life is going incredibly boring, selfish and bordering between self-aggrandisement and narcissism. The book has to be bigger than that. It's going to be about a collection of stories about people i have come across, people who have impacted my life in a deep way in different areas, that i believe will inspire other people. Many years ago i read a book titled - Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey. It's about how 13 unlikely mentors helped his faith survived the church. He interweaves the story of his own struggle to reclaim his belief with inspiring portraits of people who have succeeded in the pursuit of an authentic faith. I have not quite thought about the exact theme of the book i am going to write yet, but  it will be something along this line.

I thought the best way to start is revive my blog again, and start writing about things - anything. This way, at least i get to record the significant events or lessons in my life.  And this will all contribute toward my dream to writing a book. So here we go!
Family. Celebrating Rachel's Birthday

two boys practising yoga!

Camping during covid lockdown period


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jimmy, I have been following your blog for years when I was running. and it dropped off circa 2017,guess tat's similar time when you stopped updating and also schedule and priorities are biting into the running times. Glad to see u back, again.
    Hope to meet u in person one day.

    ReplyDelete