Wednesday, January 21, 2015

3 weeks from now


3 weeks from now and I will be free!

My generic surgical science exams (GSSE) is 3 weeks from now and i really can't wait to finish it. I have spent the better part of last 7-8 months preparing for this exams. It has been weighing on my mind for too long and the stress that accompanies it. The last 3 weeks is just about going through the materials and the question bank again and trying to recall the core concepts of each subject.

There are so many things  i would like to do after i finish my exams.

First thing is to bring my wife out for a good celebration. She has been so supportive of my endeavour in this preparation period and frequently let me off my parental duty so i could sneak in more hours to study. She understands how important this exams is for my future career and always reminds me to look after my body, eat well and not to be too stressed. I cannot thank her enough and i really hope i could make it up to her after this exams. We are planning for a Europe trip some time in June-August, and i can't wait to start planning for it.

Second thing I would like to do is to spend more time with Jonas, our baby boy. He is growing so fast, and he is becoming more active and emotionally aware of his surrounding. My heart always melts when he looks at me with an expectant looks in his eyes hoping for some cuddle or play. I definitely want to bring him out more often for a walk, a run with baby jogger or a hike in the mountains after my exams.

Work-wise, i am so looking forward to greater responsibility at work this year and more operating time. God has been gracious in placing me in Nambour Hospital to learn from some of the best surgeons in the region. Dr Michael Donovan, Dr Ratna Aseervatham, Dr Sandy Grieve, Dr John Hansen, Dr David Colladge to name a few. They are all very influential figures in my life and i really hope to learn from them. I am very excited to start the first 6 months in Vascular Surgery and the next 6 months in General Surgery.  I want to use the knowledge that i have acquired whilst studying for the exams and apply that in clinical setting.

Another thing i want to do is the USMLE step 1 exams. Not to divulge too much here, but i am hoping to go to the States after i finish my surgical training in Australia for 1-2 years of fellowship. The medical technology, advanced surgical care, and amazing landscapes really fascinate me and i hope to bring my family there to live for a while.

And last but not least, running. I have been in a hiatus for so long. I went for a run this morning and it was truly refreshing. But i know it's going to take a while to build up my aerobic base again. 2:40 marathon is my target this year. To run a 2:40 marathon, i have to do a 1:16 half marathon, which means i have to do a 35 minutes 10km, which means i have run sub-17 mins for 5km, and so on. Whether it's possible to achieve that in this busy year remains to be seen. The more exciting thing is Rachel told me she would like to attempt a half marathon this year! I really hope she could do it and this gives us more reason to go for a run as a family.

But for now, i'd better stop writing to go back to finish my pathology questions!

Family time on New Year day
At the peak of Mt Coolum


Christmas 2014

More of this to come!
he has started feeding solids

Running with my surgical mentor and friend - Dr Michael Donovan
Bali trip 2014

Taboo time!
Family photo

No comments:

Post a Comment