Thursday, August 9, 2012

Set back


Endurance running, i have come to realise, is never a smooth journey. It's not meant to be. The very essence of the sport is that you will be exposed to challenges, danger, injuries, unexpected circumstances, and lots of ups and downs. You have to learn to deal with them as they come, with whatever wits and resources and courage you can muster.

Nothing is more than frustrating than dealing with injuries. For me, after the Flinder's tour 50.9km, I thought i have given my body enough rest by taking 2 days off and then gradually start running again. At the end of the week, I suffered plantar fasciitis, an injury i have never had before. Thankfully it's a mild one. After some self-administered treatment, I got back into running again. Too fast too soon. At the end of the run, I sustained another injury again. This time - Cuboid syndrome and peroneal muscle tendonitis.  Ahh.. God help me!

TMBT is only 5 weeks away. The thought of not being able to run it because of injuries is certainly a hard pill to swallow, especially after all the effort and preparation i have put into it. I am at my wit's end. I cried this week. God is teaching me a very difficult lesson here. He is teaching me to trust His heart even when circumstances seem bleak. Guess i am in the arms of God's mercy now.

I have to switch to hiking to keep my fitness up. I am not writing things off yet. Will persevere and trust God. Maybe, just maybe, i might witness a miracle. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment